Visit my Website

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Home Again!

I've been working on my fall book, "Porch Time" and got another block prepared in time to travel with me to the quilt show in Molson, WA this past weekend.  And to answer you question, yes I will be offering this as a block of the month on my website!  


I picked up the U-haul and packed up on Thursday, with WAY too much, but I'm sort of an all or nothing kind of girl!  







I left bright and early Friday morning and on the way up, I stopped to stretch my legs at Grand Coulee and snapped these pictures of the dam, one above and one from down below.  (sorry about the sun glare!) This dam is pretty spectacular:  I've toured it during school field trips and more recently, taken the boys to the laser light & firework show that they have on the face of the dam all summer long.  Here are some facts from their webpage:


Grand Coulee Dam is truly magnificent to behold. Built from 1933 to 1975, it is 550 feet tall, from the 500 foot wide polished granite base, to the 30 foot wide crest which supports a paved two lane road. When you include the third power house, Grand Coulee Dam is almost 1 mile long.  

The base of the Grand Coulee Dam is almost four times as large as the Great Pyramid built by the Pharaoh Khufu (Cheops). It stands 550 feet in height, from the bedrock to the blacktop! Like the Pyramid, the Grand Coulee Dam has its galleries. They serve for gate inspections and control, drainage, regrouting, cooling, and other purposes. There are over eight and a half miles of corridors throughout the inside of the Grand Coulee Dam.
    In size, it is the second structure created by man to exceed that of the Great Pyramid [c. 2680 B.C.E.] The first structure built after Khufu's pyramid would be the Great Wall of China [c. 215 B.C.E.], which is 1400 miles long and varies between 18 and 30 feet in height.

Grand Coulee Dam is truly The Eighth Wonder of the World!
a
    The Grand Coulee Dam sits deep in the Columbia River Gorge of central Washington. It is located about 90 miles west of Spokane, 105 miles South of Canada's boarder, and about 250 miles east of Seattle.



So, if you're ever in the vicinity, it's worth a visit! Then is was back on the road for me so I could get my booth set up before 4:00 Friday.



Kits for many of the projects in my books!
Of course I didn't finish setting up in time and was there early Saturday to tidy up and put the finishing touches on the booth!  I think it turned out pretty cute, and it was nice to see all of my fabric lines together in color groups, just like I've always done at the Buggy Barn!  Almost all of the quilts from my One Sister books were on display, either in my booth or in the show!  It was the first time that the quilts from "Crazy at the Cabin" have been on display- they arrived back to me right before I left and it was great to see them again after they've been gone for the past year!  



I still love that owl quilt and the wool flowers are a favorite also. 








I met lots of new friends, as well as catching up with old ones!  This is Lisa Chapman with her "Farewell to Buggy Barn" quilt which was very fun to see! Now I'm home again, the U-haul is unpacked and returned, and things are mostly put away, which means my work space is still trashed but I'm trying to ignore the mess and get back to work! Take care until next time!  










a

No comments:

Post a Comment