Visit my Website

Friday, June 7, 2019

Needle Turn Applilque

Ah, Summer!  Time to enjoy those lazy, crazy, sunny days, and for me, it means picking up some applique to take along with me!  This is a picture of Crazy Peels, which will be included in my next book, Drive Me Crazy.  The background is all crazy pieced, with orange peels appliqued on top.  

When I applique, I like to use the needle turn method.  I use freezer paper to transfer the motif to the right side of my fabric, then I turn the line under and stitch.  It is the same stitch you use to stitch down your binding, if you stitch it by hand.  I've always said "If you can bind, you can applique!"  Here is a quick video of how I stitch and what I do at points.  If you'd like more tools, tips, and how-tos, my old applique videos are still up on You-Tube at the following links:

Needle turn applique supplies: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0J-jjb7gfM

Needle turn applique prep: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtY4O4rREVA

Needle turn applique technique & tips: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYEzDwZK7GI

My high school son was using a camcorder without a tripod, so you may get a bit sea-sick as you watch, but there is TONS of great info in these videos.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hello from New Zealand :) I've just watched the videos and learnt so much... thank you for sharing your techniques... now I need to raid my scrap basket and give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Points and valleys very good directions.

    ReplyDelete